Pets have been keeping humans company for over ten thousand years and have always been valued for their loyalty. Even before scientist could prove the health benefits of having a furry, feathered or scaled companion, we treated them as family. In ancient Egypt, killing a greyhound was treated the same as killing a man. For the petless that are contemplating adding a new member to their household, it is a big responsibility, but the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages.
1. They Provide Unparalleled Companionship
Whether you live alone, with a friend or with our family, nobody will be happier to see you come home than your furry little friend. A dog, and even some cats, live to be around you and will always be waiting for you at your door with a wagging tail.
2. Gives You A Purpose In Life
Having a companion that depends on you for its very survival means you now have some major responsibilities. It is up to you to make sure your pet has food, clean water and shelter, but in return, you receive unconditional love. You can do no wrong in their eyes. Also taking care of another life can be satisfying all on its own.
3. Positive Health Benefits
As the world gets more complicated, the stress of life can sometimes be overwhelming. A pet can be the perfect medicine needed to get you through the day. It is scientifically proven that pets can reduce stress, which in return boosts your immune system, improves heart health, helps reduce physical pain, and also enhances mental health as well. Having a dog can also be a good motivator to get you out of the house for daily walks.
4. Helps You Become More Sociable Taking care of your pet, especially one that needs exercise means you have to go out and be more socially active. Going to the vet, a pet groomer, or even your local pet store for supplies, usually leads to interactions with other pet owners. Walks in the park with your dog can also be a great ice-breaker for the shy types. You will soon find yourself building a network of pet loving friends.
5. They Can Be An Unlimited Source Of Entertainment Dogs, cats, and even birds are known for developing their own unique personality, along with quirks and silly habits that make it feel as if they were born to make us happy. People can be unpredictable, disrespectable, and just plain mean. But your dog will always be happy to see you and ready to play. They do a great job with helping you forget your troubles and provide some much needed laughter.
6. Pets Can Provide Many Services Although pets are great companions, they can also provide a number of much needed services. Throughout history, dogs have been used for protection, hunting, and even policing. Dogs have also been used to help people living with a handicap live a more normal life. Cats can be very therapeutic for senior citizens suffering from a variety of illnesses. Pets also seem to have a sixth sense for danger, warning their owners of strangers and even fires.