Dogs are so important in our lives these days that we call them “man’s best friend” or our “fur babies”. Many of us could not imagine life without them. There’s no doubt why they are named “man’s best friend”, and there is also no doubt that in the hardest moments they will make us laugh. So, here are some fun facts about our funny “fur babies”.
- Most pet owners (94 %) say their pet makes them smile more than once a day.
- Many believe that the Taco Bell dog is male, because of the voice given to it. But, it is, in fact, a girl named Gidget.
- Dogs often don’t want to go out in the rain. It’s not because they are scared of getting wet, but because the rain amplifies sound and hurts their sensitive ears.
- There is a type of dog that can’t bark. It is called a “Basenji”, and it is a wolf-type dog that lives on the African continent.
- Dogs can be left or right handed. Try teaching your dog to “give paw” with his left and then his right paw!
- The average dog has the intelligence of a 2-year old kid, and it can understand about 250 words and gestures. Many dogs are able to count up to five and perform simple mathematical calculations.
- Dogs talk with about 10 vocal sounds.
- These animals do dream! Humans and dogs have the same type of slow wave sleep (SWS) and rapid eye movement (REM) and it is during this REM stage that they can dream. The twitching and paw movements that occur during a dogs sleep are signs that he/she is dreaming. How cool is that?!
- 77 different dog names have been discovered among ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics like Brave One, Blackie and Good Herdsman.
- Some dogs grow 30 meters of fur per day, the equivalent of 6 family sized cars!
- Dogs have about 100 different facial expressions, most of them made with the ears.
- The dog that lived the longest, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, was Bluey, an Australian Cattle Dog that lived to be 29.
- Dogs with “squashed” faces have more health issues. The face structure of boxers, pugs, and bulldogs makes them more prone to respiratory issues or dental problems.
- 80 % of dog owners buy their dog a present for birthday and holidays.
- The only dogs’ sweat glands are between their pads of their feet. They dissipate the most of their heat by panting, a method much more effective than to allow the moisture to evaporate from their skin.
- Dogs have 3 eyelids, a lower lid, an upper lid, and the third lid, which helps keeping their eyes moist and protected.
- They are not really color-blind. Dogs see colors, just not as well as humans.
- The “man’s best friend” nickname is believed to have come from a courtroom speech in America, Missouri, in 1870 where a farmer was suing his neighbor who shot his dog.
- Dogs can understand up to 300 words and gestures. They are also able to count up to 5 and can perform simple mathematical tasks.
- A number of studies have shown that people who own dogs live longer, have less stress and have fewer heart attacks.